I am back to regular blogging and I want to share my valuable experiences as a college student. I left home to study in a University farther north of the country. I have had mixed feelings about my life as an independent adult and I hope you can relate to what I have to say.
- Accountability for my actions: Everything I do now is my responsibility and mine alone. It is scary for me because I am a very clumsy person. I am that weird romcom best friend that spills her drink where she goes. After a point in time, I started owning these mistakes and tried making myself a better person, the best version of myself. From waking up for classes to arranging the wardrobe, everything is my responsibility.
- Different kinds of people: Even though I moved from one metropolitan city to another, the crowd was very different. My insecurities aside, I had trouble making conversation with people. I had not given the thought of going out of my comfort zone for many years but I had to do it. I am overweight, and my sense of fashion is (let’s just say) peculiar so I have trouble fitting in but I became happier when I started accepting that I could not control other people’s opinion of me. Fuck ’em. There were toxic people I had to let go but I also made amazing friends who always have my back no matter what. Also, I realised that I may be a little too physically affectionate with my friends which some people are not comfortable with- I am a Level A hugger lol:)
- Time management: This is important even for dependent people but I feel like the problem with time management was personal to me. I loved travelling, reading, hanging out in college but I never had time for things that me only me happy such as my hobbies. I often stayed up late, woke up late and messed up my overall schedule.
- Compromises: I have had to make adjustments for my mates. I want people I care about to be happy so I often went out of my way to show it. Over the years, I have realised that it’s the little compromises that matter. You don’t need to prove your love to anyone. If you care, they will know.
- Freedom: I saved the best one for the end! It is an exhilarating feeling to be free. The overwhelming pressure of making my own decisions, facing the consequences, creating memorable adventures, taking care of bills, being with people I want to be with make me free.
The pressure from being an adult makes me free and happy. Paradox. It does not make much sense but in my defense, so many things about adulthood does not make sense. What was becoming an adult like for you? If you are not one yet, what are you expectations?- I would love to hear them in the comments section.
Thank you for reading!:)